Escorts for Patients
This leaflet is issued by Shetland NHS Board to provide information about all patient transport in relation to the provision of escorts paid for by the Highlands and Islands Travel Scheme.
Some patients will have to travel outwith Shetland to receive their medical care in hospital. For some patients, it will be necessary for them to be accompanied by an escort on this journey.
Patient escort leaflet
Red Cross Transport
Procedures for Red Cross Out-Patient Transport Service
- Once the service user has received an out-patient appointment they
should call 07880750445 to book Red Cross car.
- The car should be booked as soon as the appointment is received or no later than 48 hours before appointment.
- The mobile phone will be on answer machine at all times. The service user should leave contact details and appointments details.
- Between 1700-1800 Monday – Friday someone will listen to messages and call back service user to confirm arrangements.
- Service user should only book a taxi if Red Cross car is not available
- The Red Cross will collect service users who live on the mainland from their home and island services users from the mainland ferry terminal.
Help with travel expenses (from NHS Shetland) CLICK HERE